Tuesday 3 July 2012

Bookish quotation 2 for deckchair competition

Zadie Smith:
"But you'll like it."
"Why, because she's black?"
"No - becuase it's really good wriitng."
-- from "Changing My Mind" p. 3
"The truth is, black women writers, while writing many wonderful things, have been no more or less successful at avoiding falsification of human experience than any other group of writers."
-- from "Changing My Mind" p. 9 (I feel that the above second quote would make a great companion deckchair to Yiyun Li's quote I cited above -- that is, provided that both of these quotes are selected rather than disqualified from the competition due to word length as well as the fact that they aren't exactly paens to literature but about the difficulty of relating truth in fiction.) And, as I too don't have a Kindle (not that I would even if I could), I shall stop here and come back another time with other selections that may be more to the spirit of the exercise.

No comments: